Friday 29 April 2011

The Other Royal Wedding


"A leader has the vision and conviction that a dream can be achieved. He inspires the power and energy to get it done."
Ralph Lauren

There is a joke I always make at shoots and on set when someone is dressing me and they notice how long my arms are. Now I know I'm not exactly small at 6ft 3, however I joke that I must have been an orangutan in a previous life, as off-the-peg suits, and especially shirts, are never long enough. Personal tailoring/bespoke suits (to my delight), are now not just the privilege of the wealthy Savile row gent. Thanks to Reiss, Massimo Dutti and Lawson & Walker, bespoke quality and service is now available on the high street very inexpensively. Shirts are a different matter though, and my solution has been to have to buy bigger shirts that have longer arms and then have them tailored - but no more! Thomas Pink, of wonderful historic Jermyn Street in London, has made me a couple of wonderful personal tailored shirts (called Personally Pink). Collar, cuff, length, colour and material all to my specification. The shirts even come with my initials, cufflinks and gold 'Pink" embossed collar bones - wonderful. Although, now I can't make my orangutan joke that always got a good laugh, but I think I can live with it. Have a look for yourself here: http://www.thomaspink.com/fcp/content/Personally/editorial



As Easter has only just passed, I would like to talk about the good book. However, the good book in my house is called Speed, Style and Beauty. This gorgeous book features 29 breathtaking cars from Ralph Lauren's immense collection of cars. Why am I suddenly bringing this book to your attention? Well, I am currently sat on the Eurostar back from Paris having attended the L'Art De L'Automobile. A selection of Ralph Lauren's most prestigious sports cars from the Thirties to the present day is on view for the first time in Europe at the Musée des Arts Décoratifs.

I can't explain how truly excited I was to receive this invitation. Not only did the anticipation of getting to see and touch a large number of my dream cars for the first time keep me awake most of Tuesday night, but the idea that I may get to meet arguably the foremost and influential designers in history meant that most of Tuesday afternoon was spent trying to choose the right suit/shirt/tie combination for the occasion. I can't underestimate the amount Ralph Lauren inspires and influences my style, not just in fashion, but also in terms of interior design, cars and just plain style.

The whole evening was a hugely special affair. The panache of every single small detail was astonishing. The location the Musée des Arts Décoratifs was special in itself. All the staff (including Ralph), were in single or double breasted immaculate black suits, with white shirt and pocket squares. And the cars - what can I say? Ralph Lauren describes them as moving art and although I agree with this, the most significant pull (apart from every one of them being toe curlingly beautiful), is the history and story behind their concept, design and reasons for manufacturer. From the story of the Bentley boys with the Bentley Blower, to the Jaguar XKSS which was derived from the successful racing XKD and then being driven around the Hollywood hills by Steve McQueen. So to say I was in my element is an understatement. This may be the last time I'm invited however, as they had to ask me repeatedly to stop looking at the cars and sit down for dinner. Oops.



The collection has made me even more tempted to add to my little collection (I hope my bank manager doesn't read this blog). The classic Merc 190sl is still being restored as we speak, but the car I'm looking at right now is the new Morgan 3 wheeler. I want, more like need, one so badly that I think maybe I should be kept under supervision for the next few months. But take a look at www.morgan3wheeler.co.uk. I know I will be on there constantly for about the next week.

You may have also heard that at VOGUE.COM there is huge excitement in the air for the biggest wedding of the year, if not the decade. No, no, no readers - not William and Kate. But Dolly Jones (editor of VOGUE.COM) is getting married this week. Even though the royal wedding may be stealing some of Dolly's thunder, one thing I know is that Dolly will look even more stunning than Miss Middleton and DEFINITELY be wearing better shoes! Congratulations to Dolly and her new husband.

0 commenti:

Post a Comment