Saturday 16 April 2011

Cool Runnings

Agyness Deyn and David Gandy at a London Marathon photocall today © Rex Features.

FASHION'S finest are gearing up to take part in the London Marathon this Sunday, including VOGUE.COM bloggers David Gandy and Henry Holland, and models Tuuli Shipster and Agyness Deyn. The group, who have named themselves the Oxglam Squad, have committed to the 26-mile-long run to raise money for Oxfam.

"I'm so bored of being boring and not drinking or smoking so I'm super excited about the run now and getting it done!" Henry Holland tells us. "I've always wanted to do it, and then when Tuuli asked me to be part of a team for Oxfam I had to say yes."

The designer has been training with a trainer since October with, as he describes, "varying degrees of dedication". Does he have any tips for other London Marathon participants?

"I just listen to music and think about how happy I'm going to be when I finish," he says. It can get quite addictive too."

David Gandy, however, isn't feeling quite as prepared.
"I just haven't really had too much time to train properly," he tells us. "I've been on and off planes all year and when I did get a chance to train hard, with long runs and inteval training, my knees have not taken the strain well and I've been in a lot of pain so I'm nowhere near as prepared as I should be, but we'll see how my body is on the day. A huge skiing crash didn't really help either! Now is that enough excuses for when I finish in over six hours?!"

The model decided to complete the marathon through a mix of "stupidity" and a desire to help raise money for Oxfam - his "motivational force". Is he feeling nervous in the final build-up?

"I'm pretty apprehensive if I'm to be honest," he admits. "I'm built more for, and have always been, a sprinter - long distance is very difficult for me being 15 stone. But, it's a great cause and so many people have told me what an amazing day it is - so I'm very much looking forward to experiencing everything the day will bring, be it smiles or tears."

1 comment:

  1. More

    http://lrn.london-marathon.com/static/photo_gallery/image_146.jpeg

    ReplyDelete