Tuesday 31 May 2011

DAVID GANDY: SUPERMODEL

Professional boxing trainer Andy Orr of MyGym London has trained some of Britain’s best boxing champions with his unique techniques. He talks about his ’20s inspired gym, the SPASHION shoot, and gloving up with supermodels David Gandy and Sam Webb.








WHAT WAS YOUR BIG BREAK?
In terms of commercial success, when I was first noticed and thrust into the public eye was the Dolce & Gabbana ‘Light Blue’ campaign. Within the fashion industry when I started working with Mario Testino, shot the cover and fashion story and interview in V magazine.
WHAT INFLUENCED YOU TO GET INTO BOXING TRAINING?
I’ve always been hugely sporty and interested in all forms of training and nutrition. I was training for the London Marathon and the many training miles were taking their toll on my knees and joints. Weight training adds bulk and muscle, which is what I needed whilst improving my stamina and recovery time. I also needed to keep the muscle mass I had. Boxing was the perfect solution. I’ve known Andy at MyGym for a while and he offered to train me and I thought who could be better than the trainer of a heavy weight contender.
HOW DO YOU STAY MOTIVATED?
I get bored very easily. I never look to the past, always to the future. Therefore I’m always looking for new experiences, opportunities and challenges. These keep me mentally and physically motivated.
WHO IS YOUR HERO?
Paul Newman. Not just because he stars in most of my favorite films, but also because he’s a complete motor and racing nut like myself, and used his name and profile to raise an incredible amount of money for his own charities.
WHAT’S THE MOST MEMORABLE HIGHLIGHT OF YOUR CAREER?
It may be yet to come. I have a book coming out in June in collaboration with Dolce & Gabbana, It’s a book containing all the projects, campaigns, press, shoots we have worked on together, including a lot of new shoots and material.
HAS THERE BEEN A LOW POINT IN YOUR CAREER?
There’s not been one particular low point. However in the modelling and fashion world you have to have a very thick skin and learn to accept rejection, especially when you are casting each and every day at beginning of your career.
WHERE’S HOME FOR YOU NOW? AND WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT IT?
I’ve always based myself in London. London is amazingly convenient with the amount of travelling I have to do, which can be up to 80 or 90 flights a year. I call London the ‘Hub’ of the world as Europe, and America are both quick and accessible.
I also just think London is still the best capital in the world. To me is has everything. Beauty, history, the best food and the best people, and the weather seems to be improving.
YOUR FAVOURITE FILM OF ALL TIME…?
Butch Cassidy and Sundance Kid
HOW DO YOU RELAX?
Exercise and training. Be it skiing, boxing, weight training, rock climbing. Away from that, then it is driving or learning to be a better track racer which I’m pursuing at the moment.
NAME ONE THING YOU CAN’T LIVE WITHOUT?
My Blackberry
IF YOU COULD HAVE DINNER WITH ANYONE WHO WOULD IT BE AND WHAT WOULD YOU ORDER?
Winston Churchill, Paul Newman or JFK and id order a lot of alcohol as apparently they were all keen drinkers.
IF YOU COULD CHANGE ANYTHING IN THE WORLD, WHAT WOULD IT BE?
Too much to name.
FINISH THIS SENTENCE: SPORT IS… Getting too focused on money and not enough about competition.

David Gandy approached me to learn the skills of boxing and add to his training schedule. He has a passion for boxing and we now train regularly. He has a right-hand knockout, goodnight dig on him – not bad for a pretty boy!

The SPASHION shoot was shot at MyGym London. Contact Andy Orr: ph: 07985 199 144; email: andy@aldridgeorr.com
Source:www.spashion.com

0 commenti:

Post a Comment